Commercial Mathematics Software:
- MATLAB (Matrix Based) - MATLAB is the industry standard for many fields including science and engineering. It has a powerful matrix-based mathematics engine. When doing intensive calculations, C or C++ is the language of choice rather than interpreting with MATLAB. MATLAB also comes with a compiler to ease this burden.
- Maple (Symbolic CAS [Computer Algebra System]) - A powerful symbolic math package from the University of Waterloo (CA). Geared towards students, this package provices a friendly way of learning all areas of mathematics.
Free Mathematics Software:
- Octave (Matrix based) - A MATLAB clone under development.
- Scilab (Matrix based) - Another MATLAB clone.
- Maxima (Symbolic CAS) - A Maple clone originally developed by the U.S. Department of Energy.
- TI-89 (Symbolic CAS) - A calcuator made by Texas Instruments with great CAS portability for the classroom.