trueSpace 6.6 Tutorial
Subject: This tutorial covers importing and extruding pre-existing *.ai (Adobe Illustrator) files in order to create simple "boxed" 3D shapes. Both trueSpace 6.5 and 6.6 are compatible with this tutorial.
Prerequisites: Adobe Illustrator file (*.ai) (version 8 works the best) and knowledge of physical file location.
- Start trueSpace 6.6 and begin with a new scene by clicking File -> New -> Scene or clicking on the "Create New Scene" icon.
- Open the "Load Object" dialog box by clicking File -> Load -> Object... Under the "Files of Type" drop-down, select "Adobe Illustrator *.ai". Browse to the folder where you stored your *.ai file, select it, and then hit the "Open" button. You should now have something very similar to what your 2D *.ai file looks like.
- Make sure the object is still selected and then hit the "Sweep" icon. It should start to resemble a 3D skeleton of your 2D AI file. Next, move your mouse outside of the object and right-click in a blank area of the scene. This will stop the Sweep function. If you happen to have problems with "No face(s) selected" errors, move your mouse outside of the object and right-click in a blank area of the scene and then repeat Step 3.
- Most of the time you will not be satisfied with the default height. So, you will need to right click on the "Object Tool" icon to open the object's properties. Given the orientation, your new value to make it bigger or smaller and then hit the <Enter> key to complete the command.
- Once you are satisfied with the orientation and size and other properties you may save your scene or your object, depending on your wishes.